June 3, 2016

June Bag of the Month...Lunar Bags...from Chris W Designs

I was excited to test another bag from Chris W Designs.  This time it is from her Lunar Collection for the Bag of the Month Club.  This is the last release for this year's club and I will tell you, it is the biggest ever.
Christine designed travel bags in three different sizes and also added a pocket addendum to allow you to personalize the pockets in your bag.

I chose to do the Full Moon which is the large size.  And large it is!  This is the largest bag I have ever made at 24"W x 17"H x 10" D.




This is the front of the bag.  There is a pocket between the straps that is closed.  The pattern calls for a half moon magnetic clip but since I did not have that available, I used a regular magnetic snap. This bag has handles and an adjustable shoulder strap That you can see in the next picture showing the back of the bag.



If you look closely at the picture above, you can see a luggage strap.  This allows you to slide this bag over the handle of a piece of wheeled luggage to make sure it does not fall off.  If you prefer, you can close the bottom to have an additional slip pocket.



The two side pockets are great for shoes or water bottles.


 

Inside is a large zipper pocket but there is plenty of room to add more pockets on the other side.

A few words of advice.  Christine writes very thorough patterns.  There are many pictures throughout to increase the understanding of the pattern.  Many people get flustered by the number of pages.  This one is 73 pages, but, remember that includes instructions for all three sizes, pattern pieces for all three sizes, labels, and a text only section for those that want to print only the directions.  This is an advanced sewing pattern.  That being said, don't choose this as your first go at bag making. However, if you have been making bags for some time, maybe it is time to stretch.  For me, the most difficult part of this bag is the size of it. My RA was not happy with me! This isn't a bag that you will make in a day or two.  Take it step by step.  Enjoy the process. In the end, you will have a beautiful bag that others won't believe you made.

This pattern is available this month only for the Bag of the Month Club members.  It will be available to all others starting July 1.

The other two sizes available are the Half Moon (medium) that is 18"W x 14"H x 7"D and the Quarter Moon (small) that is 14"W x 11 1/2"H x 6"D.

10 comments:

  1. You made a great beautiful bag. I'm sure you'll carry it with pride. That is if you are going to keep it. I haven't made mine yet. My back decided to give me a hard time and now I'm trying to make other simpler bags for the shop first. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norma. Sorry you were down. I have been having some rough days but still trying to continue my sewing. I spent so much time on this one, I don't think I could sell it.

      Delete
  2. Marilyn, that is a gorgeous bag! Since I didn't join the BOM Club this year, I have to wait until July for the pattern but since I am packing to move, that is probably a good thing! I think I will do the Half Moon since it isn't quite so large to work with. I love your leather touches...they are beautiful and make the bag look like a very expensive bag from an exclusive shop. That fabric is really nice! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue. It was the biggest bag I have ever made and it was very time consuming but I love how it turned out.

      Delete
  3. Love your bag. Is it too big to go under your airline seat? I have some pendleton wool that would look awesome on these bags. Of course I'm dreaming as I only has small bits and bobs of sewing time right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I think this size is too big for a carry on, but the Half Moon (medium) would be great.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you did a beautiful job making the bag !!
    I don't blame you for not wanting to sell it after all the work you put into it !
    It's gorgeous !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I just don't think I can charge enough for the cost of all of the materials and definitely not the time invested. Besides, I rarely keep anything for myself.

      Delete
  5. I love this bag collection and so glad I too was a tester as I got a great bag for my efforts as did you Marilyn. I made mine for me. I knew it wasn't a fast sew and no way could I sell it. I doubt I could make any to sell either with the time and cost of materials involved. Your bag is lovely as always Marilyn. I might give the quarter moon a try one day, since I have a similar shaped medium bag I made for myself last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl. Hmmm...where should I go with my new bag???

      Delete