March 17, 2014

Victorian Coco Bag




It really is fun to choose the fabric for a particular bag I want to make.  I realize that most of these bags are to my taste and I am not sure whether others will see them as I see them.  When you are sewing to sell, you have to sometimes reign in your wild side.  That is why it is also fun to sew someone else's vision.  Before I left on vacation, I completed a bag like this.

I have a customer that knows what she wants and actually chose the bag and fabric that she wanted.  This is the first of several that I will be making for her.  For this bag, she wanted a Coco Bag from Chris W Designs.  She looked online and found the exact fabric she wanted.  That makes my job easy.  No second guessing, no wondering if she will like the look of it. 


I used my standby fabric for the straps, inserts, and top band.  It is a faux leather crocodile pattern in black this time.

I love the fabric I used for the interior.  Since the exterior looked Victorian to me, I thought this fabric carried the theme to the inside.

If you have not tried this pattern, Christine offers it on her website for free.  It will give you the chance to try one of her patterns.  Trust me, you will love the step by step directions and pictures.  Her bags are very professional  and with her designs and detail, you will be amazed at what you can do!









10 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like the color combinations, too. Very classy. I have this pattern, but I've not made it up yet. I love Christine's patterns, though, and have made several of them. I like how all of them turned out.



    It sounds like this is a great customer to work with. :)

    I was wondering where/how you purchase your faux leather, and what you determine will work for bags. Do you have a source you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look at thickness of faux leather first. It has to be pretty thin and pliable so that I can work with multiple layers on my domestic sewing machine. I do not have an industrial machine. Know your machine's limits. This particular fabric I buy at JoAnn's. It is on a roll and hangs with their upholstery fabric. I wait until it is on sale or when I have a 50% off coupon and then I buy several yards at a time. They have it in brown and black and I use both. The real bargain is finding a remnant when the fabric is on sale at 50% off. Then the remnant is 50% off the 50% off price. That is a double bargain.

      Delete
    2. Wow, thanks for the great tips, Marilyn! :) We have a nice JoAnn's nearby, so I am going to check there next time I go.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fabric choices Marilyn! I haven't made this bag yet. Your customer must love this!
    I haven'y sewn with faux leather yet either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl. This particular faux leather is a vinyl that is very forgiveable. I can pin it which I can't on others. As long as I use my teflon foot and some waxed paper under the vinyl, I am good.

      Delete
  3. Another great bag Marilyn. That faux leather is great.. if you buy it online I'd love to know where.. I'm always looking for faux leather that good to work with it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I buy it at JoAnn's but I have seen it other places. It is a vinyl that has either an alligator or crocodile look. It is very thin and pliable.

      Delete
  4. Great Bag! The combination of this vinyl with the print exterior and lining are awesome! Way to go!!! Don't you love having great customers!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my customers have been great. But when they know exactly what they want, the collaboration is easier.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete