March 30, 2015

Another Sugar and Spice






The Sugar and Spice Bag that I made for the Chris W Designs Facebook Sew Along sold immediately so I decided that I needed to make even more of these.  By the way, it is one of my most favorite bags, too, as well as one of my most favorite bag patterns to make.  And did I say very popular with my customers?  That is a bag trifecta!

After making the Bella bag in red faux leather, I decided to continue the theme of that same color shade and chose a geometric print I had in my stash.  I had recently bought a remnant of a solid that matched well coincidentally. (I love when that happens.) So, I used the solid for the handles as well as the piping that I only used on the pockets.


Bag front

The color of the bag is a little off in these pictures.  It is more of a maroon than a red.  The third picture shows the true color.


 Bag back

I love how the lining peeks out on this bag.  It makes you put as much thought into the lining fabric as the outside fabric.
Bag inside

There are four slip pockets on the outside of this bag and another four slip pockets on the inside.


Bag top recessed zipper

The bag closes on top with a recessed zipper.  That keeps everything secure and in your bag where it belongs.  All in all...I just love everything about a Sugar and Spice Bag.  If you haven't tried one of  Chris W Designs patterns, you are really missing out.  The bags turn out so professional looking and the patterns are chock full of directions and pictures that make them easy to follow.  You can get this pattern here.

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful Marilyn! I love the whole thing! Those two fabrics are really lovely! Isn't it wonderful to find something to match what you already have. Then you know it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. It is amazing to me how many times I buy remnants and find matches in my stash. That probably means my stash is way too large!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful bag! I love your fabrics! I can see why they sell well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. There just is something about fabric. Many of my friends and family just don't get it!

      Delete
  3. I love it Marilyn! You know, red is one color I have not been able to use yet in my bags! I'm just going to have to go choose my own fabric and make one. This is really beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina. I love a red bag. I have carried several different ones and always get compliments on them.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Coordinating fabrics.
    Serendipity.
    Back from japan - had to mail myself 20# of fabrics and bag hardware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny. But ,gee, only 20#s. Hope you had a great visit.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I am going to make my first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. I am sure you will love it!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Great Bag! The color is awesome. The color looks like the Marsala color of the year. I'm sure this one will find a home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norma. I love the color, too. The true color is so rich looking.

      Delete
  7. Another beautiful bag!! Can you share where you source your rivets and what tool you use to apply them? I have wanted to make this bag for some time (already have the pattern) but I've shied away from it because of those darn rivets. I've never used them before and never applied them to anything. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. And you are right about Chris' designs. Beautiful bags and incredible instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, you are a no reply blogger so I hope you check back. I buy my rivets at Tandy. You can also get the tools there as well. I buy the small double cap rivets. It tells you what tools to use. This size rivet calls for setter 8100-00 and anvil 8056-00 or setter kit 8105-00. To punch the hole, I use a round drive punch that I got there as well. It is size #02 which is 1/8". You can also get rivets at Hobby Lobby.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Marilyn. I've no idea what a "no reply blogger" is as this is all new to me. I was wondering why I didn't see an email with your reply - since I know from reading your blog that you reply to almost every blog post that you get - I love that about your blog, btw. So, thank you again. I will check them out.

      Delete
    3. Being a no reply blogger means I can't email you a response directly because no email shows up for you. Check out this tutorial to try to fix that: http://www.flusterbuster.com/2013/02/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html

      It was sent to me by Daryl at Patchouli Moon when I first started.

      Delete
  8. "Sold Almost Immediately". That is exciting, Marilyn! It must give you thrill when that happens.

    I like the red, too. I'm keeping my eyes open for some fabric candidates in that color. :)

    Your work is a pleasure to view and gives so much inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Krista. I just love this pattern.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Marilyn. This colour is all the rage here at the moment. Love how you chose to just do the piping on the pockets. I was wanting to try this out so it's nice to see how it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. This bag sold already. That Sugar and Spice pattern is very popular with my customers.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete