April 28, 2015

Two Stow It All Totes, One in Faux Leather and One in Prequilted Fabric






I finally finished my second Stow It All Tote from Chris W Designs.  I have to say the pattern is relatively easy but the faux leather was a challenge.  But before I talk about that bag, let me show you the other Stow It All Tote I made.

I love the look of prequilted fabric on this bag.  The first two that I made were made from prequilted fabric, too.




The butterfly fabric is a remnant of upholstery fabric.  This bag is a perfect place to showcase it.




I think it is a very striking fabric but there are limited bag patterns that I can use it on because the butterflies are pretty large.  But, this bag is very large, too.  It measures 16" wide, 12" high and 4.5" deep.   On this bag, I divided the front pocket into three compartments and the back one into two.  You can divide them any way that works for you.





The top of the bag is closed with a recessed zipper.  I like the peek of lining fabric around it.  I used a double zipper on this bag.



The bottom of the bag has bag feet.





The inside of the bag has a divided slip pocket highlighting the outside fabric on one side and a zipper pocket on the other.




Here is my second tote.  Same pattern but not the same ease of sewing.  I love this black ostrich faux leather that I got from Norwalk Fabric Outlet.  I have used it as a small part of other bags.  I decided to try an entire bag from it.  I then decided I would combine it with upholstery weight (heavy) suede that I would use for some of the more thicker areas like the straps and strap tabs.  I used it on the flap, zipper panels and zip tabs as well to make it a more cohesive look.  That worked out better but I ended up having to take out the boxed corner of the lining to get this bag turned inside out.  Now that it is done, I do love it but I won't use this heavy of a faux leather for a whole bag again.




I used another double zip on this bag.




 For the lining, I used a snakeskin patterned quilting cotton.




 This second bag is a special order.  Since I won't be using this faux leather on a full bag again, they will have a pretty unique bag.

You can get this pattern here.


12 comments:

  1. This is the third time I'm trying to leave a comment. I think I may have cracked it hia time. As they say third time lucky. Beautiful work as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. I saw your comment on facebook. You must be very busy.

      Delete
  2. Both are beautiful bags! I really like the look of the faux leather one... too bad it was a pain to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It was definitely a challenge but it is good to challenge yourself. It certainly is how you learn.

      Delete
  3. Both are lovely but the faux leather one is over that top!! Fabulous!! Good thing its not in red or I'd have to steal ti ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I sure am learning the difference between easier to work with faux leather and much more difficult faux leather!

      Delete
  4. Love both of these. But I have to agree with Liz, the faux leather is spectacular! Again, you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Judith. I appreciate the kind words.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful bags Marilyn. Love the butterfly, but I like the faux leather too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl. I'm finishing up a different bag in red faux leather and suede. This faux leather is much easier to work with.

      Delete
  6. I'm on a mission to never turn a bag again.

    I'm looking for ways to insert the lining into the bag somehow from the top without ever turning anything again.
    I like the heavier fabric for bags because they stand up so much better but its just a pain in the butt to turn them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete